Friday, July 24, 2009
Bonjour Famille!I made it through a week in the MTC! I love life here. After the relatively rough start that included being stopped by the MTC cop on a bike, things have been amazing. I didn't get to give any shots to incoming missionaries but I am making it ok without poking people. My companion is Soeur Flood from LA. She is also 22 so I don't feel like a complete grandmother. Our distrist is small compared to the rest of our zone. There is E. Birk from Denmark, E. Acorda from Canada, E. Weber from Germany and E. Call from Bountiful. We are quite the motley crew and it makes things fun. This week we have planned and taught our first lesson about one hundred times. That may be a a little exaggeration but we have spent a lot of time on it. I absolutely love studying and being able to immerse myself in the scriptures. It is also cool to be learning from Preach My Gospel. It gives me so much direction in my personal/comp studying. Before coming to the MTC, I had maintained some beliefs that have been quickly corrected. 1. There are only 24 hours in a day. 2. I knew anything about the scriptures. 3. I am a smart person! All jokes aside, there is seriously so much to learn. The French speaking has been interesting. Everyone else in my district has had at least 3 years of French experience. Every time we learn anything in French, my teachers look right at me and ask, "Did you get that Soeur Powers?" It is different being the one that everyone is waiting for! I am blessed to have a companion who knows what she is doing and is willing to correct my "anything-but-french" accent. On Wednesday we had our first day in the TRC. Our first task was to contact in French. During the whole 5 minute conversation with the first 'investigator' I didn't say a single word! All that being said, I am praying and being obedient! Alma 36:3! I guess I haven't been thrown in prison. Learning French can't be that bad! Mom, one of my teachers, Soeur Stevens, served in the Geneva mission. Anytime she says anything about her mission I think of you and all your mission stories. I have told the squirrel one to all of the sisters in the zone and everyone laughed at your expense. I am waiting on sharing the owl in the bathroom one, but so far everyone loves you! Dad, did your mission include all of France when you went? Now there is a Paris mission and Toulouse Mission. My other teacher served in Toulouse so he loves Southern France. Did you ever serve down there? In other news, I start medical training next Tuesday. Still not exactly sure what I am going to be doing but hopefully the meeting will be enlightening. The training is an all day event so I should have more information for you next week. It is kind of funny. We had to do some medical stuff for our Belgian visas so we had to go to the clinic. ( I volunteered to draw Soeur Flood's blood but she vehemently refused my offer:)I hadn't realized how comfortable I feel in the medical setting until being away from it. I chatted with the nurses there for a good 15 minutes and now I am good friends with Susan and Ellen! I love nurses. Just a quick spiritual thought! I was reading in 1st Thes and there is a scripture in chap 2 comparing sharing the gospel with nurses. We do what we do because we love the people we serve. vs 8-9 maybe? I love being able to share the love I feel in my life, both from you and from God. I LOVE YOU! Bonsoir, Soeur Katie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment